A statue of Queen Victoria formerly stood in the centre of a circular garden in the middle of the Weighbridge bus station. In 1976 the statue was moved to the Triangle Park alongside the Grand Hotel at West Park. The park was officially renamed Victoria Park but islanders have steadfastly remained true to the original name of this triangular area of grass. The statue stands 7 feet high on a plinth of La Moye granite which is carved with the Queen's monogram surrounded by a crown. The inscription "Erigé par le peuple" (erected by the people) is at the base and the two sides bear the dates 1837 and 1887 to signify Victoria's Golden Jubilee.