Tuesday, 1 April 2014
A statue of Queen Victoria formerly stood in the centre of a circular garden in the middle of the Weighbridge bus station. In 1976 the statue was moved to the Triangle Park alongside the Grand Hotel at West Park. The park was officially renamed Victoria Park but islanders have steadfastly remained true to the original name of this triangular area of grass. The statue stands 7 feet high on a plinth of La Moye granite which is carved with the Queen's monogram surrounded by a crown. The inscription "Erigé par le peuple" (erected by the people) is at the base and the two sides bear the dates 1837 and 1887 to signify Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
Read about more statues on the Island Wiki.
A contribution to the City Daily Photo theme Triangles.
Saturday, 29 March 2014
The lighthouse at La Corbière was lit on 24 April, 1874, for the first time, and was the first lighthouse in the British Isles to be built of concrete. The lighthouse was built to designs by Sir John Coode. The lighthouse tower is 19m (62ft) high and the lamp stands 36m (119ft) above high water spring tides. The beam has a reach of 18 nautical miles, and was automated in 1976. It is situated on a rock which is a tidal island. A causeway links the lighthouse to shore at low tide. There is an alarm to warn visitors to clear the causeway as the tide rises.
A contribution to Scenic Weekends.