Saturday, 1 November 2014
La Corbière Lighthouse
The lighthouse at La Corbière was lit on 24 April, 1874, for the first time, and was the first lighthouse in the British Isles to be built of concrete. The lighthouse was built to designs by Sir John Coode. The lighthouse tower is 19m (62ft) high and the lamp stands 36m (119ft) above high water spring tides. The beam has a reach of 18 nautical miles, and was automated in 1976. It is situated on a rock which is a tidal island. A causeway links the lighthouse to shore at low tide. There is an alarm to warn visitors to clear the causeway as the tide rises.
Visit other contributions to the Landmark theme at City Daily Photo.